Seacrest Recovery Center

Will Insurance Pay For Your Child’s Stay at a Halfway House?

Dealing with your adult child’s addiction can be a terrifying prospect. This is especially true if you are not certain whether or not your insurance will cover placing your adult child in a halfway house in order to assist with providing a safe and supportive environment during the process of seeking help for his or her addiction. Even if your 18 to 25-year-old child is currently insured, either under your policy or their own policy, you will have to determine whether or not the insurance will pay for a stay in a Boynton Beach halfway house.


Will Insurance Directly Pay for a Halfway House

Unfortunately, most insurance plans will not pay for your child’s stay in a halfway house. The reason for this is that halfway houses are considered aftercare, rather than being a medical necessity. This is why Medicare will also refuse to directly pay for a stay in a halfway house.


Will Insurance Pay for Treatment at the Halfway House

However, the fact is that most treatments that are provided at a halfway house, such as substance abuse counseling and various types of medical treatments are considered medical necessities and will be covered by most insurance plans. For that reason, your insurance plan, even if it does not directly pay for the cost of residency at a halfway house, can substantially reduce the cost of placing your child in the supportive environment they need.


Preparing for Your Child’s Stay at a Halfway House

The most important initial step in determining if and how your insurance will compensate you for any costs associated with a halfway house is to contact the insurance company. Because eliminating addictive behaviors can help your company save money, it is possible that they may have programs that will help defray the cost of a stay at a halfway house.

Even if they do not, it is important to be able to show your expenses and divide them between expenses specific to the halfway house, such as room and board, and medical necessities. By doing so, you can make certain that medically necessary bills will not be declined by your insurance company. Outpatient treatment, drug costs and medically necessary living arrangements are all examples of costs that your insurance company will reimburse you for.

When dealing with your child’s addiction, it is important to remember that even if your insurance company will not pay for all the costs associated with a stay in a halfway house, they can still be helpful in reducing the amount of money you will have to spend. Because of this, working with your insurance company can be a vital part of ensuring that your child gets the help they deserve.

Call us for more information (800) 411-8019